Healthy Lunches For Kids
Packing school lunches for children that are both healthy and kid-friendly can be a challenging task for parents, especially if you're pressed for time and can't spend hours on prep-work or planning.
When you don't have much time but also don't want to reach for convenient pre-packaged items that are loaded with fat, carbs and sodium, what's the solution?
Here are some great ideas.
Smoothies are colorful, rich in fiber and protein, and can be kept cool and ready to drink in a thermos.
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
Pizza Roll-Up Bento Lunch
This type of mix and match lunch based on a Japanese Bento Box seems like a fun, intriguing way to get a lot of fruits and veggies into a child's diet.
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortilla
- 2 tablespoons prepared pizza sauce
- 12 leaves baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup cucumber spears
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons low-fat creamy dressing, such as ranch
- 1 cup small watermelon pieces
- 6 chocolate wafer cookies
- Place tortilla on a plate and spread pizza sauce over it. Top with an even layer of spinach and sprinklecheese on top. Microwave on High until the cheese is just melted, about 45 seconds. Carefully roll the tortilla up. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into pieces, if desired. Pack the slices in a medium container.
- Pack cucumber and cauliflower in another medium container. Nestle a small, dip-size container among the vegetables and add dressing.
- Pack watermelon in one small container and cookies in another small container
Apple, Cheddar & Peanut Butter Sandwich
This new update on a traditional PBJ looks healthier and certainly trendy.
Split a focaccia square in half crosswise. Spread the cut side of 1 half with peanut butter. Top with a layer of cheddar-cheese slices and then a layer of thin apple slices. Cover with the other half, cut side down, and press gently.
Another Fun Bento Box-Type Idea
2 mini whole wheat pita pockets with grilled-chicken strips and veggies
3/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt with sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar snap peas
8 animal crackers